How I Know When a Story Idea Is Worth Writing

Story ideas arrive in strange ways. Sometimes they begin with a character. Sometimes they begin with a single line of dialogue, a place, a memory, or one very specific question that refuses to leave.

But not every interesting idea is ready to become a full book. Some are scenes. Some are short stories. Some are simply little sparks that need more time.

These are the questions I ask before deciding whether an idea is worth developing.


Does the idea keep returning?


The ideas with staying power usually come back without being invited. I may be cooking, driving, or working on something completely unrelated when the character appears again with another piece of the story.

An idea that continues growing on its own is usually worth paying attention to.

A good sign: new scenes, questions, and character details keep appearing even before the formal writing begins.


Is there a real problem at the center?


A beautiful setting or interesting character can begin a story, but conflict is what keeps it moving.

I need to know:

  • What does the main character want?
  • What is stopping them from getting it?
  • What will happen if they fail?
  • Why must this problem be faced now?

If the character can simply walk away without losing anything meaningful, the idea may need a stronger foundation.


Am I curious about the ending?


I do not always know exactly how a book will end when I begin. However, I need to feel curious enough to keep following the story.

That curiosity might come from wondering whether two characters will reconcile, whether a secret will be revealed, or whether someone will become brave enough to make a difficult choice.

If I already feel bored by the answer, readers probably will too. Harsh, but the blank page has no patience for polite lies.


Does the idea have emotional weight?


The strongest stories usually explore something deeper than the events happening on the surface.

A story about moving to a new town might really be about loneliness. A romance might also be about trust. A family mystery might explore grief, identity, or forgiveness.

The emotional question gives the story a reason to matter beyond the plot.


Can the idea continue growing?


Some ideas create one wonderful scene but do not have enough movement for an entire book. Before committing, I test whether the idea can support multiple turning points.

Story element Question to ask
Main character Can this person change in a meaningful way?
Conflict Can the problem become more complicated?
Relationships Are there tensions, loyalties, or secrets to explore?
Setting Does the place affect what can happen?
Ending Is there a decision or consequence worth building toward?


The final test


Eventually, I have to stop analyzing and write a few pages. An idea can sound brilliant in a notebook and completely fall apart when placed into a scene.

Writing the opening, a major confrontation, or a conversation between the main characters usually reveals whether the story has energy.

The right idea does not need to arrive perfectly formed. It simply needs enough life to make me want to discover what happens next.



Some stories begin with a detailed plan. Others begin with one stubborn sentence.

Browse the books and discover which ideas made it all the way to the page.

Comments

Leave a comment