A Quiet Look Inside My Writing Routine



Writing routines are often presented as perfectly organized systems involving sunrise, handwritten morning pages, and a peaceful desk beside a window.

Real writing is usually less cinematic. Some days the words arrive easily. Other days the routine consists of opening the document, staring at it, checking the refrigerator, and returning ten minutes later with no explanation.

Still, a simple structure helps me keep showing up. Here is what my writing routine currently looks like.


I begin by reviewing the previous scene


Before writing anything new, I reread the last few paragraphs from the previous session. This helps me return to the tone, pacing, and emotional state of the characters.

I try not to spend too long editing at this stage. The purpose is to regain momentum, not disappear into a forty-minute debate over one adjective.


I decide what needs to change in the scene


Every scene needs movement. Something should be different by the end, even if the change is small.

Before I begin, I usually identify three things:

  • What the main character wants in the scene
  • What makes getting it difficult
  • What new problem, decision, or discovery appears by the end

This keeps the scene focused and helps prevent pages of pleasant conversation that lead absolutely nowhere.


I write in manageable sessions


I do not always have several uninterrupted hours available, so I rely on shorter sessions. A focused thirty or forty-five minutes can be enough to move a chapter forward.

Some sessions produce many pages. Others produce a few paragraphs. Both count.

Type of writing day Main goal
High-energy day Draft new scenes and follow momentum
Low-energy day Revise dialogue or make scene notes
Busy day Write for fifteen to thirty minutes
Stuck day Identify the next decision the character must make


I keep a separate place for stray ideas


New ideas tend to arrive while I am supposed to be working on something else. Instead of abandoning the current project, I place them in a separate notebook or document.

This gives the idea somewhere to live without allowing it to steal the entire afternoon.

Later, I can return and decide whether it belongs in the current book, another project, or the charming little graveyard of ideas that sounded better at midnight.


I stop before I run out of direction


When possible, I end a writing session while I still know what should happen next. I may leave a short note describing the next action, line of dialogue, or emotional turn.

That small breadcrumb makes it easier to begin again the following day.


The routine changes with the book


No routine works perfectly forever. Different stories require different approaches, and life does not always cooperate with a carefully planned schedule.

The most useful routine is not the most impressive one. It is the one that makes returning to the story realistic.

For me, consistency does not mean writing the same amount at the same time every day. It means continuing to come back, even after a slow day, a difficult chapter, or a week when the story feels unusually quiet.



Curious about what is currently taking shape behind the scenes?

Read more writing-desk updates and follow the next story as it develops.

Comments

Leave a comment